UPDATE: FUTA student committed suicide over allegation of fraud, family issues

Fresh updates have surfaced as to the reason a student of the Federal University of Technology Akure, FUTA, Olona Oluwapelumi, took his own life, at his house in Akure, the capital of Ondo State.

As earlier reported by The Informant247, Olona, committed suicide in his residence.

Olona committed suicide in his room in an off campus hostel in the Aule area of Akure metropolis.

It was gathered that the deceased’s friend, Omoniyi Enoch, who communicated the campus journalists of the institution, on its Facebook page, revealed that the late student reportedly took his own life as a result of money issue he had with his department.

He said the deceased was the Financial Secretary of his department’s students association before his death.

“When school resumed for the 2021/2022 session, the Treasurer of the department wasn’t around to receive payment for due. Joseph (Olona) decided to receive the payments from students.

”The President requested that Joseph should send N100,000 to him for a departmental project. Joseph sent it using his digital bank – Carbon. He was debited but the President didn’t receive the payment.

”Several emails were sent to the bank but the issue wasn’t resolved. Due to that, he was so pressured about it and everyone secluded him. He hasn’t attended lectures since we got back from the Christmas break because of the pressure.

”Yesterday morning, I went to get my phone from Joseph because his phone is faulty and we both shared my phone. He informed me that his HOD called his daddy and said he engaged in fraud. He was very disturbed about it.

”He requested to follow me to my office at the Students’ Union Building because he didn’t want to stay alone. I left him at the office to attend the homecoming event that was held at the T.I Francis auditorium and also watched the Awopegba match.

”When I got back to the office, he had already locked the office door. He came back to give me the keys and left. When I got home, I forced him to eat. At 7:40 pm, knocked on his door but he didn’t open. I left thinking he was still angry with me for leaving him at the office.

”At 8:30 pm, I knocked again but there was no response. At 10:01 pm, I tried again but there was no response, so I went to sleep. This morning, I went to knock around 8 am but there was no response. I had to go and check through his window and I saw him hanging from the ceiling” says Enoch.

Another source said Late Olona was the olnly son and last born of his family.

The source added that he had some issues with his parents as regards his academic performance in school in his first year.

”The boy did not go home throughout the period of ASUU strike because of the problems he had with his parents over his unimpressive result at 100 level.”

Similar Posts

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *