Coup plot: ‘I was part of target to be shot’ — Defence minister

The Minister of Defence, General Christopher Musa (retd.), has revealed that he was among senior figures allegedly targeted by military officers accused of plotting to overthrow President Bola Tinubu, saying the plan was to shoot him if he resisted arrest.

Musa made the disclosure on Sunday during an interview on Channels Television’s Sunday Politics, days after the military announced that 16 officers arrested in October 2025 would face trial over an alleged coup plot.

According to the former Chief of Defence Staff, intelligence available to him showed that his name was on the list of those to be taken out by the plotters.

“I was also a target. I was supposed to be arrested, and if I refused, I was supposed to be shot,” he said.

The military had initially announced the arrest of the 16 officers for what it described as acts of indiscipline and breaches of service regulations. However, authorities later disclosed that further investigations linked some of them to allegations of attempting to overthrow the government.

In a statement last week, the Armed Forces described the alleged actions as conduct contrary to the ethics and professional standards of the Nigerian military.

The Director of Defence Information, Major General Samaila Uba, said officers found to have a case to answer would be arraigned before a military judicial panel in line with the Armed Forces Act and other relevant service regulations.

He stressed that the process was aimed at ensuring accountability, while guaranteeing fairness and adherence to due process.

Similar Posts

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.